Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup Polish sausage, sliced
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 lb beef or 1⁄2 lb pork
- 1 large apple (peeled or sliced)
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 potatoes, steamed
- (1c leftover meat may be substituted for beef/pork)
- Squeeze sauerkraut or, if canned, drain.
- In a large casserole put sauerkraut, mushrooms, apple, tomatoes, peppercorns, bay leaf & 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and simmer for 75 minutes.
- Add sausage, meat and bacon.
- Simmer 1 hour longer.
- Serve with steamed potatoes.
- Steamed potatoes:.
- Boil peeled potatoes in salted water to cover, with a spoonful of butter added.
- When cooked drain, add butter and teaspoon of chopped dill and let stand covered for 5 minutes.