Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sauce is also known as sauce chasseur. It's a nice brown sauce with mushrooms. I sometimes substitute this sauce when the recipe calls for golden mushroom soup.
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup left over home made beef gravy (or brown gravy/brown sauce made from a packet such as Knorr's)
- 2 -5 drops maggi seasoning (or other flavor enhancer like Kitchen Bouquet, or even Worcestershire sauce)
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions in butter until very tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute additional 2- 3 minutes.
- Add wine, simmer, and reduce by half.
- Add tomato puree and gravy and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste with Maggi, salt and pepper.
- You can also add your favorite herbs to this sauce.
This was a very nice sauce for our steak tonight. I din't have tomato puree, so used chunky crushed tomatoes and reduced it a bit more.