Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A very flexible goulash with a tex-mex flair. The recipe below is basic. Add some rice for something a little different. Or spice the meat mixture up with some green chilies and jalapenos. Also add some chopped bell pepper and corn if desired. Play with it and make it your way.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper
Corn Bread Topping
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- Fry bacon until almost crisp; drain.
- Add crumbled ground beef and onion; brown evenly and drain.
- Stir in beans and tomatoes.
- Add chili powder and cumin.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grease upper inside edge of a 2 qt casserole dish.
- Spoon in hot mixture.
- Combine all corn bread topping ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon over meat mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes.