Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful French recipe - the fresh tomatoes really make this dish - do not use canned. Serve with rice to catch all the juices. You can also use boneless breasts,or a whole fryer cut up (increase cooking time to about 30 - 40 min)
- 6 chicken breast halves, bone-in
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
- In one of those big 5 L covered frying pans (or a Dutch oven), heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, till browned all over, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add shallots or onion to pan drippings, cook 1 minute to soften. Add mushrooms, cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add wine and beef broth. Return chicken to pan, cover, and cook over low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken.
- Stir dissolved cornstarch into sauce. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 - 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan and turn to coat with sauce.