This is a wonderful French recipe - the fresh tomatoes really make this dish - do not use canned. Serve with rice to catch all the juices. You can also use boneless breasts,or a whole fryer cut up (increase cooking time to about 30 - 40 min)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chicken breast halves, bone-in
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1In one of those big 5 L covered frying pans (or a Dutch oven), heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, till browned all over, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 2Add shallots or onion to pan drippings, cook 1 minute to soften. Add mushrooms, cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, tomatoes, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper, simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Add wine and beef broth. Return chicken to pan, cover, and cook over low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken.
- 5Stir dissolved cornstarch into sauce. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 - 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan and turn to coat with sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hunter's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.9
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 307.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 17.1 g