1 hr 15 mins
Chandra M's Note:
This is a great recipe for a small dinner party. The pan sauce is delicious over garlic cheese mashed potatoes or Cauliflower Puree. This is probably my husband's favorite dish, at least it is the one he requests the most. As written the sauce can be spicy (depending on the freshness and type of cayenne you have), so if you are not a fan of spicy food I would 1/2 the cayenne.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick (economical cuts like bottom round work well)
- 3 -4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, cut on diagonal in 1-inch slices
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced in thirds
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (white & green parts)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Trim fat from meat.
- 2Cut into 4-6 serving size pieces.
- 3Pound with meat hammer until 1/4-1/2" thin and tenderized.
- 4Combine flour, salt, and black pepper.
- 5Rub mixture onto the steaks to thoroughly coat.
- 6Heat oil in large flat bottom skillet that has a lid.
- 7Add the meat and brown on both sides.
- 8Scatter the celery, mushrooms, and 3/4 of the scallions over the top.
- 9In a small bowl, combine the red wine, soy sauce, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne.
- 10Pour over the meat & vegetables.
- 11Bring to a simmer.
- 12Simmer covered for 1 hour. (can be simmered an additional 30-45 minutes without adverse effects).
- 13Serve with pan sauce and vegetables poured over and sprinkled with remaining scallions.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hunter's Beef
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.8
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 1480.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef steaks