Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great recipe which creates a juicy chicken with a crispy crust. The sauce is so delicious also! (but haven't tried it with the brandy or cognac-keep forgetting to buy it) I found this recipe in Cooks Illustrated.
- 4 bone-in skin on chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 minced medium shallot
- 3 tablespoons brandy (or cognac)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup drained canned diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons cold butter (cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken.
- Heat oil in skillet over med heat. Add chicken breasts, skin down, and cook without moving them until skin is crisp and well browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and cook for additional 5 minutes or until chicken is browned on other side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tbs of fat from pan. Add mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms start to brown (6 to 8 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium and add shallots, cook until soft (about 1 minute).
- Remove pan from heat and add brandy. Let stand until brandy warms slightly, about 10 seconds. Wave a long match over skillet until brandy ignites. Return pan to medium-high heat and shake skillet until flames die.
- Add wine. Using wooden spoon, scrape browned bits from pan bottom and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes and simmer over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, put chicken on a baking sheet and put in oven for 15-20 minutes or until chicken reads 160 degrees.
- When chicken is done, put on serving dish and cover with tent of foil.
- When sauce is done, whisk in butter, one piece at a time until incorporated. Add parsley and tarragon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve.