Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Griswold Inn in Essex, Connecticut. I can never pass up a grits recipe....and I'm very glad that I made this one. A few unusual ingredients blend together to make a tasty breakfast side dish. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup regular grits
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Pre heat oven to 350*. Butter a 1 quart casserole.
- In a saucepan bring the water, butter, pepper, mustard, salt and worcestershire to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits.
- Lower the heat; cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg and egg whites for 3 minutes or until light yellow and thickened. Whisk egg mixture into the grits, then cool slightly.
- Spoon grits into the buttered casserole and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until puffy.
- Reset the oven to broil and broil until golden brown.