Recipe by DustyPyatt
Another one of Hungry Girl's amazing recipes. PER SERVING (1/3rd of recipe including syrup): 144 calories, 1g fat, 295mg sodium, 41g carbs, 12g fiber, 3g sugars, 5g protein -- POINTS® value 2*
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 cup fiber one all-bran cereal, ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency
- 1⁄3 cup liquid fat free egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular, no calorie artificial sweetener, granulated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-free maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the ends of the squash. Cut it in half widthwise (making it easier to manage), and then peel squash halves using a vegetable peeler or a knife.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, and then scoop out all the seeds.
- (Note: for exact nutritionals, measure out and use 14 oz. of squash.)
- Next, cut squash into french fry shapes.
- Using a paper towel, pat squash pieces firmly to absorb any excess moisture.
- Place cereal breadcrumbs in a large container.
- Add Splenda, cinnamon and salt, and mix well.
- In a separate medium-sized dish, combine egg substitute and vanilla extract.
- Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Toss squash pieces in the egg substitute until they are all evenly covered.
- One by one, coat squash pieces with the breadcrumb mixture (give them a shake first so they are not dripping with egg substitute), and lay them flat on the baking pan.
- Place in the oven, and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Flip fries over, and return to the oven for about 10 more minutes, or until outsides are crispy and squash is tender.
- (Cooking time will vary depending on how thick your fries are.)
- Serve with syrup for dipping. MMMMMMM!
- MAKES 3 SERVINGS.