Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cupcakes are so moist, so delicious, so RED, and so completely guilt-free, that writing extra words to introduce this recipe would be a complete and total waste of everyone's time. Serving Size: 1 frosted cupcake Calories: 134 Fat: 3g Sodium: 266mg Carbs: 25g Fiber: 0.75g Sugars: 11g Protein: 3g POINTS® value 3
- 1 cup pillsbury moist supreme reduced sugar devils food cake mix
- 1 cup pillsbury moist supreme reduced-sugar yellow cake mix
- 2 (1 ounce) fat free powdered cocoa mix, packets (diet)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free liquid egg product (like Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1⁄2 ounce red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon Splenda granular, no calorie artificial sweetener (granulated)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons jet-puffed marshmallow creme
- 6 tablespoons Cool Whip Free, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular, no calorie artificial sweetener (granulated)
- Place half of your chocolate chips (2 tbsp.) and the contents of both cocoa packets in a tall glass.
- Add 12 ounces of boiling water, and stir until chips and cocoa mix have dissolved. Place glass in the freezer until mixture is cold (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together marshmallow creme, cream cheese, and 1 tablespoons Splenda until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Place bowl in the fridge to chill until cupcakes are ready to be frosted. Once the cocoa in the freezer has chilled, give it a stir, and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cake mixes, egg substitute, remaining chocolate chips, red food coloring, 1 teaspoons Splenda, and salt. Using a whisk or fork, mix batter for about 2 minutes (until smooth and blended). Batter will be thin, but don't worry, your cupcakes will puff up once baked!
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups, and spray lightly with nonstick spray (or simply spray the pan with nonstick spray). Evenly spoon batter into the pan.
- Place pan in the oven, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done. Once cupcakes have cooled completely, evenly spread the frosting over them.
I saw these on the Nate Berkus show. They looked so good with yummy icing piped up high on top.... my version did not turn out like that. The cupcake tasted great. But, the icing did not turn out at all like I thought it should. First, I made a double batch of the icing, because one batch seemed so small. Then, the icing was really runny and just drizzled down over the cupcakes. Again... tasted good though. I would make these cupcakes again but find another icing alternative. Also, the use of 1 cup of the cake mix was a bit annoying... what do I do with the other 2/3rds of the cake mixes??