Recipe by HokiesMom
From the Hungry Girl 200 under 200 Cookbook. This is another breakfast recipe that is terrific with lots of flavor but few calories. This makes 1 serving so if wanting to serve to guests, you need to make one per person. I used a 6 inch long little baking dish and it worked out great. The book recommends a 5-6 inch wide round baking dish.
Top Review by French Tart
WOW! Hokey Kokey! This is a great little recipe that I will keep and use for the future! I did make a few subs, mainly due to regional differences and the inability to obtain certain ingredients; fat-free egg substitute was one of them! So, I used fresh free range eggs, whisked them up, and used 2 whole eggs for 4 little bakes. I also had to use real bacon, no turkey bacon in France! Laughing cow cheese was a doddle to get, as it is French, as was low-fat Cheddar cheese slices. I made TWO each for a late brunch and served them with extra creamed spinach. I also made them in a Yorkshire Pudding tin, which was great for nice shaped little patties, see the photos. A totally wonderful recipe which was easily adapted to local ingredients, and one that I shall be using again and again! Thanks darlink! Made for the One Pot Wonders event in the Photos forum, November 200. FT:-)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow light swiss cheese
- 1 slice fat-free American cheese (I used a Cheddar)
- 1 slice lean turkey bacon
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook bacon in microwave according to package and when cool chop into small pieces (or crumble).
- Bring a pan sprayed with nonstick spray to a medium heat and add spinach to pan and cook until wilted (stir while cooking).
- Spray the small baking dish (see description) with nonstick spray. Place spinace in the dish.
- Break cheese wedge into quarters and place on top of spinach and cover with bacon pieces.
- Pour egg substitute over bacon, season with salt and pepper then top with slice of cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until egg is firm and fully cooked.