Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a recipe by Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien. It is protein packed comfort food at it's best. and it is only 150 calories a serving!!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Evenly season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Place the onion, carrots, coleslaw mix, white beans, stewed tomatoes, peas, chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, and bay leaf in the crock pot and stir. Cover and cook until chicken is fully cooked, on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove the chicken pieces and place them in a bowl. Shred each piece using 2 forks: one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot, and stir into the soup.
- Season the soup with 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste. Garnish with additional thyme, if using. Serve up and enjoy!