Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is yummy served over mashed potatoes. Boneless chicken or lean pork could be substituted for the veal if desired.
- 3 slice bacon, diced
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sliced mushrooms
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 907.18 g veal, cut in cubes
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml paprika
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Slowly saute bacon, onion, butter and mushrooms until the onions and bacon are lightly browned.
- Remove the bacon, onion and mushrooms with a slotted spoon and place in a baking dish.
- Add the veal to the bacon fat/butter left in the frying pan.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Remove meat from the frying pan and mix with mixture in the baking dish.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, paprika and sour cream to the bacon fat in the frying pan.
- Mix well and bring to almost boiling (do not boil).
- When hot pour over meat in baking dish.
- Cover dish with lid or tin foil and bake for 1 hour or until veal is tender.
I used a bit more butter as I had to brown the veal in two batches. I found the sauce was thin too so I added a slurry of 1 tbsp cornstarch and that thickened it up just right. I think that garlic would be a nice addition in step 2 and I would even add more paprika next time. Thanks for the recipe!
Excellent recipe! I was out of paprika and substituted a teaspoon of pork rub. Yummy!!!
Wonderful recipe! Have made it several times and it is great each time. Have used prociutto in place of the bacon and added more oil or butter to the pan to brown the meat if needed. Normally I serve over buttered noodles. You can't go wrong with this dish and it is just so easy to make! Would be great for entertaining too!