Recipe by *Pixie*
This is yummy served over mashed potatoes. Boneless chicken or lean pork could be substituted for the veal if desired.
Top Review by mums the word
I used a bit more butter as I had to brown the veal in two batches. I found the sauce was thin too so I added a slurry of 1 tbsp cornstarch and that thickened it up just right. I think that garlic would be a nice addition in step 2 and I would even add more paprika next time. Thanks for the recipe!
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 lbs veal, cut in cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Slowly saute bacon, onion, butter and mushrooms until the onions and bacon are lightly browned.
- Remove the bacon, onion and mushrooms with a slotted spoon and place in a baking dish.
- Add the veal to the bacon fat/butter left in the frying pan.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Remove meat from the frying pan and mix with mixture in the baking dish.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, paprika and sour cream to the bacon fat in the frying pan.
- Mix well and bring to almost boiling (do not boil).
- When hot pour over meat in baking dish.
- Cover dish with lid or tin foil and bake for 1 hour or until veal is tender.