Recipe by Skipper/Sy
This tasty soup is good either on a hot or cold day, depending on the season. Floating on top are three-coin shaped pieces of hard boiled egg, cucumber and squash. Then topped off with Hungarian paprika and Asiago Cheese. This recipe was especially created for the RSC # 11 contest.
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach, triple washed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic (garlic cloves pressed)
- 2 cups chicken stock, 14-1/2 oz can (College Brand)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes (buds, flakes)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (substitute lime juice)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated (substitute Gouda cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the spinach in a big pot and along with the basil leaves, shallots, garlic and a 1 cup of the stock and cook, stir until wilted.
- Use a hand blender and blend the ingredients, then add the balance of the stock and milk and blend again, cook stir for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the instant potato flakes, sour cream, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. stirring for about three minutes or more (make sure the sour cream is blended well).
- Place soup in individual bowls, add 1 coin shaped slice (or more) of hard boiled egg, cucumber, squash.
- Then sprinkle a little of the paprika on top and finally add some graded cheese.
- Serve and enjoy this tasty soup on a cold winter or hot summer day!