1/2 Photos of Hungarian Szekely Goulash
2 hrs 20 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Goulash in the style of southern Hungary. Serve with buttered noodles, dumplings, or spaetzle if you like. This is one dish that shines as a leftover, since it gets better the longer it sits.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless pork blade steaks or 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steaks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 lb fresh Hungarian sausage or 1 lb fresh kielbasa or 1 lb fresh Italian sausage, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, cut into slivers
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- salt and pepper
- 16 ounces beef broth
- 1/4 cup Hungarian paprika
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1Sear the meats, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a large deep pan.
- 2Season with salt and pepper. Add caraway seeds.
- 3Stir in rinsed and drained kraut.
- 4Add beef broth.
- 5Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add water if you need to.
- 620 minutes before goulash is done, stir in sour cream and paprika. Do not allow the goulash to boil at this point.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Szekely Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.4
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 184.1 mg
- Sodium 2084.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 50.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: