Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is creamed spinach with a Transylvanian touch.
- 1 lb fresh spinach or 1 lb swiss chard, cooked, well drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 fresh garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cream or 3⁄4 cup milk
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add garlic clove.
- Saute garlic in butter a minute or so.
- Do not let garlic burn or it will be bitter.
- Blend in flour to make a roux.
- Add salt and pepper and heat until mixture bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually add cream or milk.
- Return to heat and stir until mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Blend well drained spinach into sauce and serve.
Very tasty, but I added a little more garlic- actually garlic powder at the end to kick it up a notch. Also, no need to cook the spinach separately. Just add it to the end of the mixture and put a lid on the saucepan. The spinach cooks quickly then puree it in the blender. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!
I grew up in an Austrian/Hungarian home, and this recipe brings me back to my childhood! The only tweaking I did was to add a few scrapes of fresh nutmeg for added seasoning, 'cause that's what my dad used to do. (he was a professional Austrian chef) YUMMM! I also used soy milk and margarine to keep this dish non-dairy.
My Hungarian mother makes this all the time, it's one of my favorite recipes, yum! The only difference is, when it's all done, she stirs in a healthy dollop of sour cream too! Delish!