1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
A wonderful chicken recipe I plan to use for 2 fresh chickens sitting in the fridge tomorrow. Expecting cold weather so this will smell great & warm the house at the same time. Found in The New York Times - an old Hungarian Hanukkah recipe adapted by Mindel Appel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium onions, 2 finely chopped and 2 quartered
- 1 cup mushroom, thinly sliced (use what you have)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 bread, thick slices (challah or other bread fine too)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika, more as needed
- 3 -4 lbs whole chickens, quartered
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 4 carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into large chunks
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil and add chopped onions, mushrooms and garlic. Saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 2Tear bread into large pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with enough water to thoroughly dampen it on all sides. Allow to sit for 1 minute, then squeeze out as much water as possible. In a mixing bowl, combine bread, egg, parsley and onion-mushroom mixture. Season generously with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- 3Divide stuffing into four equal portions. Gently pull enough skin from each chicken piece to be able to push stuffing mixture under skin. In a small bowl, combine remaining tablespoon oil with 1/2 teaspoon paprika and salt to taste. Mix well and brush over chicken pieces, saving a bit for basting.
- 4In a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan, scatter quartered onions, green beans and carrots. Place chicken pieces skin-side up on vegetables. Roast uncovered for 60 minutes, basting halfway through. (If chicken begins to look too brown, cover lightly with foil.) Lower oven temperature to 275 degrees and continue to cook until meat is opaque and white all the way through, about 30 minutes more. To serve, place an equal amount of roasted vegetables on each of four plates, topped by a portion of chicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Stuffed-Under-The-Skin Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.5
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 213.2 mg
- Sodium 218.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 42.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: