Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This is a traditional Hungarian recipe that I have learned to make from my Hungarian fiance who misses this from home. Until meeting him I don't think I truly understood what great desserts should be.
Top Review by aniko8
If you make it in a big baking pan, it should be only about an inch thick...then when it cooled down, you spread some jam on it (apricot the best) and roll it up with a help of a damp dishrag...slowly so it won't crack... dust top with powdered sugar and slice.... it's super easy I made it when I was like 12 :)
- 8 eggs, at room temperature separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I like the vanilla) or 1 tablespoon good vanilla extract (I like the vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Beat egg yolks until light yellow medium mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, lemon juice (or vanilla), and mix until thick.
- Add baking powder and flour gradually and mix well.
- In a clean bowl beat egg whites and salt until very stiff.
- Carefully fold egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Grease and flour two 9" cake pans and pour batter evenly into them.
- Bake for one hour, remove from pans, and cool on cooling racks.