Recipe by ElaineAnn
Tender, falling apart beef ribs in a tangy sauce reminiscent of slow cooked barbecue. I've also made this with country style pork ribs (very, very good). The original recipe calls for cooking the noodles in the sauce, but I like to use a hearty noodle like bowties or kluski and cook separately, then mix in before serving.
Top Review by foodtvfan
Delicious short ribs, so tender and tasty. For the 2-1/2 hours cooking time I put the ribs in a roasting pan in a 300 degree Fahrenheit oven and stirred them occasionally. Just before ribs were done, I cooked egg noodles separately and lightly buttered them. Served with thick slices of crusty bread and a side of peas. Would also be good with mashed potatoes. Another addition to my favorite recipezaar recipes binder.
- 4 lbs short rib of beef
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 1⁄2 cups medium noodles
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- I trim some of the fat from the short ribs. There is plenty marbled throughout to keep these moist. Brown ribs in a Dutch oven in hot oil.
- Remove ribs and sauté onions until softened but not brown. Return ribs to pot.
- Blend tomato sauce, 1 cup water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, and Worcestershire. Pour over ribs.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim off fat.
- Stir in noodles and additional 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes until noodles are tender.