Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The aroma of this will make your mouth water! This freezes well, so I double it sometimes.
- 2 lbs pork, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sauerkraut, rinse and drained
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lard (if meat is very lean) or 2 tablespoons oil (if meat is very lean)
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika (no generic please)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream (no yogurt please)
- salt and pepper
- Brown the meat and onion (in lard or oil if needed) in a pot with lid.
- Add the paprika to the meat and onion mix, stir to mix in (do not burn).
- Put in the drained sauerkraut, crushed tomatos, bay leaves water and sugar.
- Stir to mix it up and then cover the pot.
- Cook slowly for about one hour, or until meat is tender.
- Add the sour cream and stir.
- Add salt & Pepper to taste.
- Serve in soup plates, with good crusty bread.
Good food.! I made the recipe as directed except I did not rinse the sauerkraut. I really enjoyed the flavor of this dish.