1 hr 20 mins
The aroma of this will make your mouth water! This freezes well, so I double it sometimes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork, cubed
- 1 1/2 lbs sauerkraut, rinse and drained
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lard (if meat is very lean) or 2 tablespoons oil (if meat is very lean)
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika (no generic please)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pint sour cream (no yogurt please)
- salt and pepper
- 1Brown the meat and onion (in lard or oil if needed) in a pot with lid.
- 2Add the paprika to the meat and onion mix, stir to mix in (do not burn).
- 3Put in the drained sauerkraut, crushed tomatos, bay leaves water and sugar.
- 4Stir to mix it up and then cover the pot.
- 5Cook slowly for about one hour, or until meat is tender.
- 6Add the sour cream and stir.
- 7Add salt & Pepper to taste.
- 8Serve in soup plates, with good crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Sauerkraut & Pork
Serving Size: 1 (780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.0
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 226.3 mg
- Sodium 1564.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 69.4 g