Recipe by ~Ri
I'm German/American and sauerkraut was a must in our house. Growing up in Germany for 23 years we had it often and in many different varieties. Many times Mom made it just with hamhogs or smoked pigs feet.
Top Review by BoxO'Wine
Followed recipe exactly as written and added kielbasi during the last 1/2 hr of cooking. We enjoyed the flavor of this authentic hungarian dish. This is the first time I added sour cream to my Kielbasi and sauerkraut and it really improved my old recipe. Thanks for posting.
- 3 lbs sauerkraut or 2 quarts sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 tablespoons finely minced bacon
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 -4 cups stock or 3 -4 cups water, as needed
- caraway seed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain sauerkraut pressing excess liquid out.
- Rinse sauerkraut once or twice until the flavor is mild.
- Melt bacon in a dutch oven or casserole; when hot add, onion and sweet paprika.
- Saute for about 8 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add sauerkraut,stock and caraway seeds.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To thicken sauerkraut, stir 2-3 tablespoons flour into 1 cup of sour cream and add to sauerkraut.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary.
- If you like to add some sausages or some other"wurst" that would be fine too.
- Add it during the last 1/2 hour of cookin.