Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm German/American and sauerkraut was a must in our house. Growing up in Germany for 23 years we had it often and in many different varieties. Many times Mom made it just with hamhogs or smoked pigs feet.
- Drain sauerkraut pressing excess liquid out.
- Rinse sauerkraut once or twice until the flavor is mild.
- Melt bacon in a dutch oven or casserole; when hot add, onion and sweet paprika.
- Saute for about 8 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add sauerkraut,stock and caraway seeds.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- To thicken sauerkraut, stir 2-3 tablespoons flour into 1 cup of sour cream and add to sauerkraut.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary.
- If you like to add some sausages or some other"wurst" that would be fine too.
- Add it during the last 1/2 hour of cookin.