Recipe by Bergy
This is a wonderful casserole especially served with spatzle and cucumber salad (both recipes are on Zaar under separate postings. This is a really inexpensive dinner to make and very good. It is tastiest if you make it one day refrigerate it and then reheat in a 325F until heated through
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 onions, cut in wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 8 cups firmly packed green cabbage, 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- sour cream or yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, medium heat, fry the onions and garlic in the butter until golden.
- Add caraway seeds.
- Stir in the cabbage and mix well, add a few teaspoons of water and cook until the cabbage has just turned bright green.
- Stir in the dill and half the paprika.
- Place half the cabbage mixture in a 13x9" casserole dish, then put a layer of potato, cheese and apples.
- Cover with remaining cabbage mixture.
- Sprinkle with the vinegar and dust with the remaining paprika.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes 325F oven.
- Uncover and bake until the casserole is lightly brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and serve with sour cream or yogurt on the side.