Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful casserole especially served with spatzle and cucumber salad (both recipes are on Zaar under separate postings. This is a really inexpensive dinner to make and very good. It is tastiest if you make it one day refrigerate it and then reheat in a 325F until heated through
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 onions, cut in wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 8 cups firmly packed green cabbage, 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- sour cream or yogurt
- In a large skillet, medium heat, fry the onions and garlic in the butter until golden.
- Add caraway seeds.
- Stir in the cabbage and mix well, add a few teaspoons of water and cook until the cabbage has just turned bright green.
- Stir in the dill and half the paprika.
- Place half the cabbage mixture in a 13x9" casserole dish, then put a layer of potato, cheese and apples.
- Cover with remaining cabbage mixture.
- Sprinkle with the vinegar and dust with the remaining paprika.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes 325F oven.
- Uncover and bake until the casserole is lightly brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and serve with sour cream or yogurt on the side.
This is the real deal. In hungary this is often served with kolbas or hurka and rye bread. Delicious dish with or with the meat.