Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
A good, hearty and inexpensive meal, also very easy.
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed (I like the yellow ones)
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage coleslaw blend
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- parsley (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Saute the onion in the oil in a heavy bottomed pot. Salt it so the layers separate.
- When onion is translucent, lower the heat and push onions to the side.
- Add the paprika, and saute in oil for 2 minutes, stirring vigorously. Don't let the paprika burn!
- Mix in the onion, add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes on medium high, stirring frequently.
- Mix the water and flour, add to the pot and stir.
- Add pepper and parsley, taste and add salt as necessary.
- Cover, stirring occasionally, cook on medium high for 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrot, cook on medium low for 10 minutes.
- Serve over broad egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream to garnish (omit this step for a healthier option).
This is a tasty combo! I had anticipated "scalloped". It turned out different than I expected, but surprisingly good. I was going to skip the noodles because of the carbs, but I'm glad I didn't. I even indulged in a little sour cream. This was so comforting on a cold evening! Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for posting Xiney!