4 hrs 20 mins
momthecook #2's Note:
I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens 1977 Beef Cookbook. It was originally for short ribs, which I find too greasy. I have made it using 'boneless short ribs' which are really beef brisket cut into pieces, or 1" thick round steaks, cut into 2" wide pieces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown all sides of roast in the oil in a dutch oven.
- 2Remove meat and stir onions until just starting to brown.
- 3Pour in 1/4 cup of water or white wine to deglaze the pan.
- 4Add all the other ingredients.
- 5Note: I specified Spanish paprika because it is less hot. If you use Hungarian paprika use half the amount.
- 6Place roast back in dutch oven and spoon some of the sauce over it.
- 7Simmer at low heat, turning every half hour for about 4 hours.
- 8Serve with cooked noodles.
- 9If you use steak or short ribs, cut time to 2 hours.
- 10If you use regular short ribs, make it the day before and put in fridge. Next day, take all the fat off the top and reheat.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.9
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 140.6 mg
- Sodium 857.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 47.8 g