Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens 1977 Beef Cookbook. It was originally for short ribs, which I find too greasy. I have made it using 'boneless short ribs' which are really beef brisket cut into pieces, or 1" thick round steaks, cut into 2" wide pieces.
- Brown all sides of roast in the oil in a dutch oven.
- Remove meat and stir onions until just starting to brown.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of water or white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Note: I specified Spanish paprika because it is less hot. If you use Hungarian paprika use half the amount.
- Place roast back in dutch oven and spoon some of the sauce over it.
- Simmer at low heat, turning every half hour for about 4 hours.
- Serve with cooked noodles.
- If you use steak or short ribs, cut time to 2 hours.
- If you use regular short ribs, make it the day before and put in fridge. Next day, take all the fat off the top and reheat.