Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a killer recipe. I got it from a great cook book called 300 Years of Carolina Cooking, submitted by Mrs. Harvey R. Plonsker.
- 3 -4 lbs chuck roast
- 1⁄4 cup flour, and
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge meat in flour mixture.
- Brown meat in bacon drippings on both sides.
- Pour off excess drippings.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, broth and tomato sauce.
- Cover tightly and simmer 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove roast to a heated platter.
- Mix in the sour cream and parsley, NEVER ALLOWING IT TO BOIL.
- Surround roast with noodles and pour sour cream gravy over all.
A nice hearty family meal. I used 1/4 cup celery but next time will add more for personal taste. Thanks for sharing.