Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another one of my mom's recipes. What can I say, she was a great cook!
- 6 pork chops or 6 pork steaks
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- oil or cooking spray
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper.
- Sear chops in large skillet in oil or cooking spray.
- Remove chops to a plate.
- Sauté onions and garlic in drippings until onion is limp.
- Return chops to the skillet with broth, bay leaf, and paprika.
- Cover tightly and simmer about 1 hour.
- Remove chops from liquid again.
- Mix water and flour in a shaker and whisk into liquid.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sour cream, if desired.
- Return chops to gravy.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or hot cooked noodles.
- (Note: This was my mom's recipe for pork chops. I do not add the sour cream, myself, because I don't think it needs it. You might taste it before adding it, then decide).
I cooked this for DH and I tonight using 4 pork chops.This was GREAT!!!I will be fixing this again.It was tangy and creamy.We had it with buttered noodles and peas.YUMMMM.I had lots of sauce and enough for leftovers tomorrow.THANKS for a great dinner!!!
Excellent pork chops! I followed this recipe as printed, with the exception that I only used about 1/2 cup sour cream. I did find that after 45 minutes my pork chops were cooked and very tender, and almost all the liquid had evaporated, even with the lid on. I don't know if that was to be expected or not, but I do know that it didn't matter. The gravy made with the pan drippings and the sour cream was soooo tasty. I served these moist and tender chops with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, along with the creamy gravy, and my family finished every bit of this great dinner. Thanks for posting the recipe!
Yummy, yummy chops. I used about 1/4 cup of sour cream to make the gravy and man, was it good. Tender meat and the gravy went well over the mashed potatoes I served with this. No left-overs :( Thanks papergoddess.