Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Makes for a delightful coffee cake to serve to family and friends. Frost with your favorite icing or dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Soak poppy seed in buttermilk for twenty minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks, vanilla and beat well.
- In separate bowl - the flour, baking soda and baking powder using a whisk to mix).
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk/poppy mix.
- Beat eggs, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites
- In a greased angel food pan (I use a bundt pan) spread batter in layers sprinkling each layer with the sugar/cocoa/cinnamon mix and swirl with a knife.
- Bake one hour at 350 degrees or until toothpick come out clean.
Delicious coffee cake . Love the combination of the cocoa and sugar. I did omitt the cinnamon.I drizzled a light glaze over it,other than that followed the recipe. Thanks Gerry for sharing this wonderful recipe which will call for many repeats.
Another winner Gerry! I was super excited to try this one because I had collected real poppy seeds from my garden last season, from the Papaver somniferum plant, and was trying this recipe out as an experiment (which I wrote about on my blog). The results were wonderful! Only advice, if using a bundt you might want to consider using only a single layer of filling for a more prominent effect. Thanks so much!
Made for a dinner party last night, and it was a hit, I used buttermilk per Syds recommendation, the filling was FANTASTIC ! No adjustments were made to this , and this is definately recommended to anyone that likes a quick dessert. A definate repeat. Made for AUS/NZ Recipe Swap#26