Recipe by Gerry
Makes for a delightful coffee cake to serve to family and friends. Frost with your favorite icing or dust with icing sugar before serving.
Top Review by Dotty2
Delicious coffee cake . Love the combination of the cocoa and sugar. I did omitt the cinnamon.I drizzled a light glaze over it,other than that followed the recipe. Thanks Gerry for sharing this wonderful recipe which will call for many repeats.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I do not add the cinnamon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak poppy seed in buttermilk for twenty minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks, vanilla and beat well.
- In separate bowl - the flour, baking soda and baking powder using a whisk to mix).
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk/poppy mix.
- Beat eggs, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites
- In a greased angel food pan (I use a bundt pan) spread batter in layers sprinkling each layer with the sugar/cocoa/cinnamon mix and swirl with a knife.
- Bake one hour at 350 degrees or until toothpick come out clean.