Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy, very Hungarian potato dish which is great served with smoked sausage.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 6 large potatoes, diced 3/4 inch (waxy type)
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and olive oil together.
- Sauté the onions for 5 minutes.
- Put all of the rest of the ingredients into the pot, just barely covering the potatoes with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Avoid stirring as much as you can to keep the potatoes from breaking apart.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
do try! it's delicious!
I really enjoyed this recipe a lot- cheap ingredients, but its hearty, and warms the belly too. I followed the recommendation for adding sausage- in my case I went with knackwurst and it worked out very well. I cooked the meat first before the onions, and then followed the rest of the recipe. I will be making this one again, though maybe with less hot paprika (would 1/2 hot and 1/2 sweet work?) so the wife can enjoy some too.