Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "Prairie HOme Cooking" a book I picked up at the library but its on my Christmas wish list. Make sure to use the SWEET Hungarian paprika not the hotter more bitter kinds.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute til golden, 8-10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and paprika.
- Cook, stirring occasionally til mushrooms start to wilt about 5 minutes.
- Whisk egggs, salt and peppers in a small bowl.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Pour in the egg mixture over the top of veggies in the skillet.
- Cook omelet slowly for about 10 minutes, or until done enough to flip over without running.
- Flip and cook 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Cut omelet into wedge and serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of parsley and green onion.
I followed the directions exactly and this didn't work for me. When I added the paprika it soaked up all of the butter and clumped up and burned. I think there was just too much paprika and it might have worked with half the amount, but as it was the end result was inedible. Sorry.
To little turtle - maybe the heat of the pan was too high? The mushrooms and onions should give off a little water, which, along with the butter, forms a thick sauce. If you like the idea of the recipe - try it again with the pan on a lower heat. Hope this helps!
I cut the recipe back to 2 eggs and cut the other ingredients accordingly. I used Hungarian Hot had no trouble with the paprika(about 2 tbsp) clumping. It gave a great flavor to the omelete. Served with hot Hungarian smoked sausage & toast. Lovely brunch, thanks Laurie