Recipe by Sharon123
This is real comfort food for a meatless meal! Accompany this entree with a salad of romaine lettuce, tomato wedges and sliced carrots, plus some crusty whole wheat Italian bread, and you're in heaven!!!
Top Review by Mirj
I'm half Hungarian, and have been eating these noodles since I was a baby, but Sharon's idea to add the sausages into the dish turned it into something totally different. It was always a side dish for me (my father would add sugar to it and turn it into a sweet snack), but the sausages make this a great comfort food main dish. I used local veggie sausages from Tivall. The only change I made to the recipe was to add a healthy dose of paprika, what's Hungarian noodles without some good Szeged paprika?
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -8 vegetarian sausages (MorningStar or Boca are good)
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) packageshredded mixed cabbage (or 1 lb. you shred yourself)
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles, yolk-free if desired (6 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for noodles.
- Meanwhile, in large, wide skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add veg.
- sausage and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and broth.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted and just beginning to brown lightly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- While cabbage is cooking, add noodles to boiling water.
- Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Cut veg.
- sausage into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Drain noodles well.
- Transfer to large serving dish.
- Add cooked cabbage, veg.
- sausage slices, parsley, poppy seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Toss gently but thoroughly to combine. Sprinkle with paprika to taste.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!