Recipe by Lalaloob
I think anyone who likes cabbage will like this recipe. It is simple to make, uses everyday ingredients and yet is immensely satisfying.
Top Review by Christopher P.
I have been making this for almost fifty years. I learned it from my best friend's father who learned it from his immigrant mother. This was a dish the men cooked for Sunday get-togethers. The difference in his recipe is that the cabbage is cooked with lots of paprika and pepper. I know that I have the spices right when the cabbage is the color of salmon. And, I use lots of butter, about one stick for a large cabbage. Sometimes I make it with onion but most of the time without. The cabbage is finished and ready for the egg noodles when it is a buttery mush.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup finely sliced onion (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles, broad, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the salt and cabbage together and let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Heat the butter in a deep skillet. Add the onions, cabbage, sugar and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until cabbage is browned, about 45 minutes. Add the noodles and toss to blend thoroughly.