Prep 15 mins
Cook 42 mins
If you love mushrooms, you'll love this vegetarian stew! From Vegetarian Passport by Linda Woolven. After reading Annacia's review I've added cayenne pepper as an optional ingredient for those who enjoy a spicier stew.
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 cups button mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 red pepper, chopped and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika, depending on how spicy you want it
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- optional cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, including their liquid
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- dumplings or noodles
- Melt butter in frying pan, add onions, and saute until tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes, adding more butter if needed.
- Add peppers and saute 5 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and brown.
- Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add spices, sugar, tomatoes and red wine and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over dumplings or noodles.
I like this very much on the whole but, contrary to what I expected, I found it rather bland as written. After adding some cayenne (about 1/2 a tsp) it was lively and delicious. Don't you just love it when good health and great flavor come together!