If you love mushrooms, you'll love this vegetarian stew! From Vegetarian Passport by Linda Woolven. After reading Annacia's review I've added cayenne pepper as an optional ingredient for those who enjoy a spicier stew.
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 cups button mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 red pepper, chopped and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika, depending on how spicy you want it
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- optional cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, including their liquid
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- dumplings or noodles
- Melt butter in frying pan, add onions, and saute until tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes, adding more butter if needed.
- Add peppers and saute 5 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and brown.
- Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add spices, sugar, tomatoes and red wine and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over dumplings or noodles.
I like this very much on the whole but, contrary to what I expected, I found it rather bland as written. After adding some cayenne (about 1/2 a tsp) it was lively and delicious. Don't you just love it when good health and great flavor come together!