A stew that is a modified Rachael Ray recipe and a great way to warm up a night time meal.
Make and share this Hungarian Meatball Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- buttered egg noodles, with
- In a large bowl, add beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix together and form into meatballs roughly 1 1/2" in diameter.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add half the meatballs - cook until all sides are lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Scoop the meatballs out onto paper towels to drain - repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the skillet and add the onion, mushrooms, carrots and celery - cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and paprika -whisk in flour and paprika and let cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the beef broth and bring to a boil - season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the reserved meatballs and caraway seeds, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over warm egg noodles.