Recipe by dicentra
From Every Day with Rachael Ray. September 2007. You could make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze them.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, egg, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Mix well and form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add the meatballs and cook, shaking the skillet often, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the skillet and add the carrots, onion and celery.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beef broth and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the reserved meatballs and caraway seeds, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with buttered noodles.