Prep 1 hr 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
The robust cooking of Hungary is represented by this flavorful soup, best served with some flaky potato biscuits (Pogacsa).
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice (a generous cup)
- 8 -10 cups beef stock
- 1 lb lentils
- 1 small dried red chili
- 1 pinch dried savory, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 loaf white bread, crusts trimmed, cubed
- Make croutons: melt butter with olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add bread cubes and stir gently until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set side.
- Melt 1 T. butter in heavy Dutch oven over mediium heat. Add ham and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 6 cups stock, lentils, chili, and savory. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender but firm to bire, stirring occasionall, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and bell pepper. Stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Stir mixture into soup. Add enough stock to cover.
- Wipe out skillet. Add 3 T. butter and melt over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir until light, about 6 minutes. Whisk in 2 cups stock. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Add to soup. Stir in the tomato puree and 3 T. vinegar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thin soup to desired consistency with stock. Season with remaining 1 T. vinegar, salt and generous amount of pepper. Discard chili. Garnish soup with Sauteed Croutons and serve.
This is great! I used around a tb of chili powder for 4 servings, no savory and no olive oil. Forgot to use garlic, but would be great with it in, and used the red wine vinegar. Will definitely make it again.