Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have been making this recipe for many years. Have given it to many of my friends who also make it. They have no problems with this recipe. Easy and good.
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb walnuts, ground fine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait until it is activated before adding to dry ingredients.
- Mix together the flour sugar and salt.
- Stir in eggs, melted butter, sour cream and dissolved yeast.
- Mix well.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes, covered with a mixing bowl with some flour underneath to prevent dough from sticking.
- Divide into 4 egual parts.
- Roll out separately onto a floured board into a 14 x 12 rectangle.
- Spread with 1/4 of nut mixture and cover dough to within one inch from the edge.
- Begin to roll up jelly roll fashion from the 12 inch side.
- Seal edge.Tuck ends under Put seam side down on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Cover with clean cloth.
- Continue to roll and fill dough covering each with cloth.
- Let rise for one hour or until double in bulk.
- You can place 2 rolls on one cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- Can be frozen.
There are directions missing from this recipe. After you follow the directions, there are ingredients left. So I threw them in. My dough turned into a giant lump of clay. Very sad.
Must of been from my guys mothers recipe she would leave things out just so you couldn't make it.looking for one that is Gluten free ,her own daughter made a gluten free one and she wouldn't even try it cause it wasn't hers,
This tasted great, was pretty and was easy to make. I made it for Thanksgiving. The only problem I had was that when I checked it after baking for 20 minutes, it looked done! So I let it go another five minutes and then took it out of the oven. So I only baked it for 25 minutes and it was a bit too dry. Other than that it was great! Will make again!