Recipe by jrbennett
I have been making this recipe for many years. Have given it to many of my friends who also make it. They have no problems with this recipe. Easy and good.
Top Review by jmtschudy
There are directions missing from this recipe. After you follow the directions, there are ingredients left. So I threw them in. My dough turned into a giant lump of clay. Very sad.
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb walnuts, ground fine
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait until it is activated before adding to dry ingredients.
- Mix together the flour sugar and salt.
- Stir in eggs, melted butter, sour cream and dissolved yeast.
- Mix well.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes, covered with a mixing bowl with some flour underneath to prevent dough from sticking.
- Divide into 4 egual parts.
- Roll out separately onto a floured board into a 14 x 12 rectangle.
- Spread with 1/4 of nut mixture and cover dough to within one inch from the edge.
- Begin to roll up jelly roll fashion from the 12 inch side.
- Seal edge.Tuck ends under Put seam side down on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Cover with clean cloth.
- Continue to roll and fill dough covering each with cloth.
- Let rise for one hour or until double in bulk.
- You can place 2 rolls on one cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- Can be frozen.