Acting Out's Note:
Tried something similar several years back, at a little family restaurant in Painesville, Ohio. I took what little I remembered and created my own version. This has a little bit of a kick but is not spicy hot. For milder tastes, I would use mild paprika and a milder curry powder. To kick it up, I would add 1 serrano pepper, seeded and sliced thin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/4 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 4-inch links
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 medium white onions, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 (1 lb) package pierogi, frozen (I used Mrs. T's Potato, Spinach & Feta)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (hot)
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons curry powder (I used Penzey's Balti Seasoning)
- 1/2 lb frozen peas
- 1In a 5 quart frying pan, arrange sausage links. Heat on medium-high. When pan is hot, add ¼ C water, cover and steam sausage for 5 minutes. Uncover and brown sausage on all sides, about 12 minutes. Remove links to paper towels to drain.
- 2Add butter and oil to frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté 10 minutes or until onions are limp and beginning to color.
- 3Add frozen pierogies, stir through and add garlic powder, paprika and curry powder. Continue to cook, uncovered, stirring frequently. This will cook for a total of 8 minutes. Meantime, take the cooled Italian sausage links and cut into ½" coins. Add sausage and peas to the pan after about 5 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook an additional 4 minutes. Test center of pierogies for doneness. Serve.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian-Italian Pierogies
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.1
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 87.5 mg
- Sodium 1731.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: