Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ask most Hungarians about Gulyas and they will tell you: no tomatoes, no flour, no sour cream, lots of garlic! This is a full-flavored goulash - you will never miss the stuff you don't put in!
- Mix both paprika's in a bowl.
- Coat the beef with the paprika and set aside.
- Coat the onion in the paprika.
- Put the beef, onion, garlic and olive oil in a large roasting pan, cover and toss to coat.
- Roast in pan, tossing occasionally, until beef is browned and onions are tender.
- Transfer meat and onion mixture into a dutch oven, add diced potatoes, and beef stock.
- On stove top bring everything to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Check it occasionally, if fat appears skim it off, otherwise stir gently.
- It is done when the meat is fully cooked, and the edges of the potatoes have rounded - do not overcook.
- When done, cook noodles and toss in melted butter, place on dishes and top with the gulyas.
Just wonderful! It really is like what my mother-in-law used to make. Thank you for the real thing.