Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very hearty stew type of dish. Very tasty and comforting.
- 4 -6 slices side bacon
- 3 -4 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 2 lbs round steaks or 2 lbs chuck steaks, sliced into thin strips
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes, fresh or canned
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sour cream, to serve
- Cook bacon until crisp, then crumble and set aside.
- Add onions to skillet and brown on medium low in drippings.
- Stir in paprika and caraway seed.
- Cook for 10 to 15 seconds, stirring.
- Add meat.
- Stir to coat evenly withpaprika.
- Add 2 cups of the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 1 hour, until meat is almost tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add potato and cook 25 minutes more, until potatoes and meat are both tender.
- Stir in reserved tomatoes and heat thru.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon and serve with sour cream if desired.
This recipe was incredible! The flavor was phenomenal and even better the second day. I made it for my fiance who had never had goulash, and he loved it. The only change I would make would be to use less potatoes.