Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Minced
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika (Hungarian)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 lbs lean beef chuck (1" cubes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled & choppe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Cut chuck into 1" cubes.
- Saute onions and garlic in heated shortening or oil in a large kettle until tender.
- Stir in paprika; cook 1 minute.
- Wipe beef cubes until dry.
- Brown cubes, several at a time, on all sides.
- Add tomatoes, caraway seeds, marjoram, lemon peel, water, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly, covered, 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and continue to cook about 20 minutes longer, until potatoes are tender.
Bravo Glitter, your recipe is excellent and about the closest to my mum's. The only differences are the addition of marjoram and lemon rind which much to our delight enhansed the flavor. Thank you for the posting and happy cooking. Cheers .. Kitty .. :)
Very Good Simple to make .I only had 1/12 lbs of beef adjusted marjoram to 3/4 and covered with beef stock instead of water.I also added 2Tbls of flour to onion and garlic to thicken broth.Great work Glitter
The recipe is great. I changed it a bit to my own taste. I added the following ingredients: - 100 gram tomato concentrate. - 600 gram tomatoes (peeld and chopped) - chicken soup flavour mix. I used only 7 water cups to make the soup more thick goulash soup more I cooked the soup for 6 hours in a regular pot.