Top Review by Kittykitdreamkat
Bravo Glitter, your recipe is excellent and about the closest to my mum's. The only differences are the addition of marjoram and lemon rind which much to our delight enhansed the flavor. Thank you for the posting and happy cooking. Cheers .. Kitty .. :)
- 4 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Minced
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 8 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika (Hungarian)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 lbs lean beef chuck (1" cubes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled & choppe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chuck into 1" cubes.
- Saute onions and garlic in heated shortening or oil in a large kettle until tender.
- Stir in paprika; cook 1 minute.
- Wipe beef cubes until dry.
- Brown cubes, several at a time, on all sides.
- Add tomatoes, caraway seeds, marjoram, lemon peel, water, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook slowly, covered, 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and continue to cook about 20 minutes longer, until potatoes are tender.