Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Secrets of Hungarian Cookery, an old cook booklet. This is a really simple, filling soup. It was more of a stew for me cause I cook it down.
- 907.18 g beef
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml paprika
- salt and pepper
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1892.0 ml water
- 4 potatoes
- 2.46 ml caraway seed
- Cut beef into 1 inch squares.
- Brown chopped onion in butter; add paprika and fry slightly; do not brown paprika.
- Add cubed beef, salt and pepper; simmer until tender in its own juices, being careful not to scorch.
- Add carrots and water and simmer until carrots are partly cooked.
- Add potatoes; cook until potatoes are done, for about 1 hour.
- Serve with dumplings if desired.