Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Authentic hungarian goulash, from my dad.
Make and share this Hungarian Goulash (Gulas') recipe from Food.com.
- Brown onions and reserve.
- Brown chuck cubes.
- Add all other ingredients together with 1/3 - 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook in pressure cooker for 20 minutes.
- As I remember (it is not written in my original instructions), I cook the beef in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes and then turn the heat off. I let the pressure cooker sit for about another 1/2 hour (without releasing the pressure) while I mess with the potatoes. This probably amounts to about 1 1/2 - 2 hours of "normal" cooking.
- While cooking, boil 3-4 medium potatoes (cut up in about 1 1/2 inch cubes in as little water as possible. "As little water as possible" means just barely cover the potatoes with water and use a small pot, so that they are crowded together. When both are done, add potatoes and the potato water to the stew. Thicken with flour.
- * Hungarian paprika is essential here. Domestic paprika is food coloring. Hungarian paprika is a SPICE.