Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hungarian Goulash Casserole
- 1 (10 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked & drained
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey (I like half and half of each) or 1⁄2 lb ground pork (I like half and half of each)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a 13"x9" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine meat, salt, nutmeg, and pepper in a bowl; shape mixture into 1" meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Cook meatballs and mushrooms in oil until meatballs are browned on all sides and no longer pink in the center (10 minutes).
- Remove meatballs and mushrooms from skillet; discard drippings.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch into 1/4 cup sour cream; spoon into the skillet the meatballs were cooked inches.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup sour cream, soup, mik, garlic powder, and paprika, and stir until smooth.
- Place cooked noodles into casserole dish.
- Arrange meatballs on top of noodles and cover with sauce.
- Bake until hot (20 minutes).
This was good! I followed the advice of a previous reviewer and browned the meat and mushrooms then added the soup, milk, etc., following up with the corn starch mix. I was short on sour cream, so I ended up mixing the corn starch into 1/4 c of the milk. I also mixed the sauce into the noodles before baking, mostly b/c I didn't do a very good job of pouring it evenly :). Turned out good, needed a bit of more salt but that could be b/c I used the reduced fat low sodium cream of celery soup. I also used skim milk with no problems. Thanks for a good recipe!
Easy to make and nice taste. We would make it again. Thanks for the recipe!
One suggestion to put the "cooked" pasta as the top ingredient or add preparing pasta as one of the first instructions. I was cooking away before I realized I hadn't started my pasta! My casserole would feed 8 easily. I can see where you could brown the ground pork like beef and add to the sour cream soup mixture as this would save a lot of time rolling little meatballs. Then sprinkle a little extra paprika on top for color. DH went back for seconds. Thanks little turtle for a teasing taste of Europe!