1 hr 30 mins
Cooking Beast's Note:
This is a very good recipe, suitable for company, and, like so many casseroles, it's so easy to make. French bread or your favorite rice make fine accompaniments, as well as a vegetable. Serve it with the wine that you cooked it with. Although the sautéeing / browning in bacon fat step is included here from the original recipe, I now skip it entirely without any loss of flavor to the dish. Use a high-quality paprika: I use half Hungarian Sweet and Spanish Smoked for great results.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 3 lbs beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika (recommended -- half Spanish Smoked, half Hungarian Sweet)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (like Pinot Noir)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon (like Minor's Beef Base)
- 1 (16 ounce) can of whole new potatoes
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms (stems and pieces is good)
- 1Assemble and prepare all ingredients.
- 2In a 5-quart casserole, heat bacon to render fat. Remove bacon, and cook onion in remaining fat until translucent. Add meat and brown, stirring to braise evenly. Season with the salt, sugar, paprika. Add tomato paste and caraway seed.
- 3Add wine, bouillon, potatoes, mushrooms. Cover.
- 4Bake in oven at 350°F for 60-90 minutes until liquid is gently boiling, meat is tender, and the aroma from the oven is plainly evident.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Goulash (Beef With Paprika)
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1731.9
- Calories from Fat 1472
- Total Fat 163.5 g
- Saturated Fat 67.6 g
- Cholesterol 227.4 mg
- Sodium 944.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 24.9 g