Recipe by *axxo*
I got this recipe many years ago from my friend's Hungarian Grandmother, it is my family's favorite stew-like dish. I know it seems like a lot of onions but they cook down considerably and just leave LOTS of flavor. Great on a cold night over buttered noodles.
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks, cubed
- 1 lb onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch caraway seed
- 1 slice lemon, rind of
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes (not a lot of juice)
- beef stock, to cover
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy pot Add meat, paprika and onions.
- Simmer until the onions have practically disintegrated.
- Chop garlic and lemon peel and add to meat mixture with caraway seeds.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and beef stock to cover, simmer until meat is tender Thicken gravy with a roux of flour (roux- equal amounts of flour and butter mixed together and added to goulash to thicken).