Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Rich and hearty on a cold day!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1/2 ",cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up and undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 4 cups hot cooked noodles
- In a dutch oven, brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil, cooking the onion and garlic with the second batch of meat.
- Drain off fat.
- Return meat, onion and garlic to pan; stir in flour, paprika, thyme, 1/2t. salt and 1/4t pepper
- Add undrained tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through- do not bring to boil.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles.
This was the PERFECT recipe for hungarian goulash for me since it tasted EXACTLY as I was hoping it to. Thank you for sharing such an easy and flavorful recipe! ;)
Made the Goulash this evening exactly as per your recipe and it was just great. Had some difficulty deciding how much water to add and understanding what 1/2t and 1/4t means in your instructions. Perhaps this is something I should know but I am just a total beginner cook. Anyway, all enjoyed very much the Goulash and your recipe is excellent. Liam Clancy Dublin, Ireland
This was very flavourful. I added some veal to it and used a spicy tomato. It was very easy to make. I found i was a little more like a stoganoff but it was great. I would make it again.